Module 3: Finding and Evaluating Resources
INTRODUCTION TO MODULE 3
Watch this screencast video that includes directions on how to complete this module.
DUE DATES FOR MODULE 3
The assignments below are due by (date)
- Module 3 reading
- Decoding URLs screencast
- Advanced searching screencast
- Discussion Board Post
- Take Home Quiz
Goals and Objectives
- Navigate and research the World Wide Web for information, assess and document the validity and reliability of the information gathered.
Daily Tech Tip Acts of Kindness Caught on Camera Press the Windows key and the letter D to instantly go to the desktop and a second time to restore all the open windows to their original places.
Module 3 Reading
Module 3 Reading assignment has two parts:
Due date: Sunday, January 29 by 11:59 PM
Part 1: All of you have experience finding information on the Internet, however, most of you will greatly improve your efficiency and efficacy by carefully reading the information in these two sections of the OWL site.
- Read each section of “Searching the World Wide Web”
- Read each section of “Evaluating Sources of Information”
Part 2: After completing the other learning activities in this module, take the Module 3 Take Home Quiz found below.
Web site evaluation check listAttached Files:
This is a handy form to help you evaluate online resources you find. Use it a few times to improve your ability to quickly distinguish the good from the bad.
This is just FYI (For Your Information) if you are curious.
This is also FYI in case you are interested.
Decoding URLs ScreencastAttached Files:
Click here to watch a screencast about how to decode URLs. An outline of the PowerPoint is attached for your review; it is NOT a substitute for watching and listening to the screencast.
NAME EDITED Advanced Searching in Google Screencast. Watch this screencast demonstrating how to use the advanced search features in Google. Aug 19, 2017 7:01:22 PM How to Decode URLS Aug 19, 2017 7:01:22 PM Decoding URLs Screencast
Watch this screencast on how to decode URLs.
Aug 19, 2017 7:01:23 PM Finding and Evaluation Web Resources Introduction Aug 19, 2017 7:01:23 PM In case you are interested in the technology Google uses, take a tour of the Google Data Center Aug 19, 2017 7:01:23 PM How Google Search Works Aug 19, 2017 7:01:23 PM Web site evaluation check list. Download this handy form to help you evaluate online resources you find. Use it a few times to improve your ability to quickly distinguish the good from the bad. Aug 19, 2017 7:01:23 PM
Advanced Searching in Google Screencast
Click here to watch a screencast demonstrating how to use the advanced search features in Google.
- Check your grades weekly. Please let me know if you have any questions.
- Technology Lab in Payne 213 – Just a reminder that you can go get technology help in Payne 213 on the Tempe campus or communicate with them electronically. You can also check out equipment, practice with Smartboards, work on group projects, and get help on assignments.
- ASU Counseling Service is available to help you with anything you might need – no matter how small or large (notations of counseling are not part of your university record)
- ASU Ethics and Compliance Hotline – The purpose of the hotline is to promote a safe, secure and ethical environment for all students, faculty, staff and guests of the University