Module 5 – Course project
INTRODUCTION TO MODULE 5 (formerly 4)
Click here to view a screencast video that includes directions for how to complete this module.
You can access a PC or Mac version of Office 365 for free while you are an enrolled student here at ASU. Look in here for information and links about Office 365. If you already have a previous version of Office 2013 or later, you can probably get by without updating but you cannot beat this price; it is time to upgrade. PLEASE NOTE: There are competitors of Office such as Open Office, Google Docs, and others like Pages, Numbers, etc. for Macs. These are not acceptable substitutes for Office in this course. I will use Office 2016 to grade your work and if your file will not open or is missing elements because you used a program other than Office (2016 or 365), you will lose points for any missing elements or receive a zero for any file that cannot be opened.
DUE DATES FOR MODULE 5 (formerly 4)
The assignments below are due by 11:59pm on Sunday, Feb 12
- Microsoft Excel Project
- Weebly portfolio HOME and CONTACT ME pages
- Submit Weebly portfolio URL
Goals and Objectives
- Approach new computer-based tasks more easily and with greater confidence
- Locate, open, and use the following software applications at an intermediate level: e-mail, word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, web page development, internet search strategies, and BlackBoard course management system
Daily Tech Tip Free Hugs Campaign Hit alt and click on any google image to have it automatically saved to your computer.
LEARNING ACTIVITY: MICROSOFT EXCELAttached Files:
This activity is designed to introduce you to Microsoft Excel, and begin to expand upon your existing knowledge of the software to include some of the more advanced features. In this module, you will be exploring Microsoft Excel features by viewing a long screencast, BUT IT IS WORTH PAYING ATTENTION TO because every semester I receive feedback from students telling me that they used what they learned in this module at work and receive raises and expanded work responsibilities because most people, including bosses, have little knowledge about Excel. I also get feedback from grateful students that use Excel in science classes and the like that tell me writing up lab reports goes much more quickly after this module. Follow the steps below to complete this activity:
- Download the ExcelDemo.xlsx file attached above.
- Open it and then edit it while viewing this screencast lecture/demo. If you have trouble streaming the screencast,right-click on this link and choose Save Link As to download the video to your computer and then view it. It will take more time that usual to download because this is a big file (57MB) Mac Users PLEASE NOTE: Ignore the references to a Mac version of this screencast and demo file. Those items are unavailable since we have made the switch to Office 365.
- Review the Scoring Guide to make sure include the minimum requirements.
- When complete, do a Save As and rename your file with LastnameExcel.xlsx
- Use the submission link below to submit the file.
If you need further assistance, please use the following tutorials:
COURSE PROJECT: WEEBLY WEBSITE/PORTFOLIO
You will be creating and updating a professional website/portfolio throughout the semester. The goal of this website/portfolio is to display both your technology skills and your knowledge of your field/major. For example, if you are an education major then you will want to display your knowledge of the education field. Likewise if you are a business, communication, engineering, or any other major. A professional portfolio can be a great asset when job hunting.
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT PRIVACY: Many, if not most, of you already have posted information about yourself on various social media sites and are fine with that. Some of you, however, have strong feelings about your privacy and want as little of your information as possible posted publicly. The Weebly program does allow you in the advanced settings on each page to keep it from being found by search engines. All the popular search engines honor the setting but there are lesser known search engines that do not honor the setting. Alternatively, Weebly does allow password protection of sites but it requires a paid account and you will be creating a free account. In a previous semester I had a student whose parent was a federal judge and needed to maintain his/her privacy. Potentially some students might have a restraining order of protection in place or another situation requiring extra privacy. I started a paid account with Weebly to have the ability to add students with privacy concerns to sub-accounts that can be password protected. If this applies to you, please use this form to request such an account from me. (If you have trouble accessing this form watch this.)
All of the assignments that you complete for the remainder of the semester will be posted on this site. For this module, you will be creating your HOME, CONTACT ME, COURSE PROJECTS, and EXCEL pages.
- Click here to see Dr. Kisicki’s model portfolio/website – NOTE: Structurally this is similar to the one you will create. One big difference is Dr. Kisicki, who has now moved on, did not require his students to add written descriptions to each page. In my view, that is a significant shortcoming as you have to consider who the ultimate audience is; a prospective employer. Just having artifacts (work samples) posted alone with no context is not nearly as impressive or effective as explaining the tool you used and what you did with it as you will see in the student examples.
- Here are some recent student examples worthy of emulation:
- Click here to go to education.weebly.com where you will create an education account. DO NOT start a regular account at Weebly.com or you will regret it later.
- In this module, you will be creating the HOME and CONTACT ME pages in your portfolio. You will continue to create new pages throughout the semester.
- Click here to watch a screencast video that will show you how to create your HOME page.
- Click here to watch a screencast video that will show you how to create your CONTACT ME page. PLEASE NOTE: The look of the Add Page screen has changed so some of the settings have moved/have a different icon/or might be on a menu but they are all still there.
- Submit your portfolio URL below.
Open your portfolio to its PUBLISHED Home page (i.e. NOT in editing mode–the URL should NOT start with ‘education.weebly.com’ but rather YourChosenSiteName.weebly.com. Copy your portfolio’s URL then open this form. Fill it out and paste your URL in the proper field and submit the form.
PLEASE NOTE: If you should see a message saying you do not have permission to access this form, watch this: http://www.screencast.com/t/oUAk0JMTaI
- Check your grades weekly. Please let me know if you have any questions.
- Technology Lab in Payne 213 – Just a reminder that you can go get technology help in Payne 213 on the Tempe campus or communicate with them electronically. You can also check out equipment, practice with Smartboards, work on group projects, and get help on assignments.
- ASU Counseling Service is available to help you with anything you might need – no matter how small or large (notations of counseling are not part of your university record)
- ASU Ethics and Compliance Hotline – The purpose of the hotline is to promote a safe, secure and ethical environment for all students, faculty, staff and guests of the University.