Module 7 – Presentation software
IMPORTANT NOTICE – READ BEFORE STARTING GLOGSTER
- Glogster is an online resource for creating multimedia presentations and poster board-like pages. Some of the other sections have reported some issues with Glogster in the past. It has been determined that there were five causes:
- DO NOT USE INTERNET EXPLORER. It won’t work properly at all and FIREFOX was also being a pain at times but appears to be okay in preliminary testing now.
- The installed version of Flash was out of date.
- An update of Firefox (or another browser) temporarily broke that browser’s ability to use Glogster.
- The Glogster “engine” (the server that hosts the glogs) overloads or otherwise goes down for a period of time (usually 20 minutes or so in my testing).
- People were thrown off by what appeared to be an error message in the EDITING view of the Weebly’s Glogster page. PUBLISH the Weebly and then view the published Glogster page before determining that it is not working properly.
The usual visual symptom would be the Flash loading spinner spinning infinitely. Should this happen to you, take these steps:
- Watch this 2 minute screencast to determine your installed Flash version and update it if needed.
- Use the Chrome browser which so far has always worked except for when it’s Flash plugin was out of date.
- If you are a Mac user and insist on using Safari, try embedding your Glog in your Portfolio in the normal manner in the directions below but should that fail use this is screencast to work around the problem.
Also, be aware when you create your account, it should be the 7-day free trial which is sufficient time for our purposes. Paid accounts start at $30/year.
- As a fall back if you cannot get Glogster to work at all for you, you may complete the assignment using some other PowerPoint alternative from this list. The Glogster terms in the rubric for the different elements will vary with the tool you use but conceptually all the tools do very similar things. Don’t get hung up on the terms; think conceptually. Like wise if any of the alternatives produce only a file instead of an online URL, submit the file instead of the link. In Weebly you can then attach a file.
- INTRODUCTION TO MODULE 7 (formerly 6)
- Click here to view a screencast video that includes directions for how to complete this module.
- DUE DATES FOR MODULE 7 (formerly 6)
- The assignments below are due by 11:59pm on Sunday February 26.
- Glogster project
- Glogster Page in Weebly portfolio
- MODULE OVERVIEW
- Goals and Objectives
- Approach new computer-based tasks more easily and with greater confidence
- Locate, open, and use the following software applications at an intermediate level: e-mail, word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, web page development, internet search strategies, and BlackBoard course management system
Daily Tech Tip Say Something Nice Did you know: pressing the spacebar on webpages moves you one page down automatically.
- Glogster Intro Video
- How to Use Glogster or eduGlogster – [Trouble with video? Try this link]
- LEARNING ACTIVITY: GLOGSTER
- Attached Files:
- Glogster Rubric 180E Spr17.pdf (102.479 KB)
- There are a number of tools (besides PowerPoint) available on that Internet that you can use to effectively inform and engage an audience. In this module, you will learn about Glogster. For this assignment, you are going to create a Glog presentation related to your major or future career (think of the job that you wrote a cover letter for in Module 6) of your choosing. The project should be meaningful and something that helps showcase your knowledge of your field. You will be embedding your Glog into your professional portfolio so it should be on a topic that you would be satisfied showing to other people.
- If you are hoping to be a teacher then you should consider creating a presentation about a topic that you might teach in a classroom.
- If you are hoping to be a journalist then create a presentation on a current events topic.
- If you are hoping to start your own business then create a presentation on a product that you have to invent or sell.
- If you are hoping to go into social services then create a presentation on a social cause that you want to make the public aware of.
The possibilities are endless. Just make sure to incorporate everything from the scoring guide below If you are unsure then please feel free to run your idea by your AA before starting.
- Follow these steps:
- View a few Glog Examples to get ideas for your presentation:
- Read through the Glogster Scoring guide attached above.
- Once you have an idea, click the link to create an account: Edu.Glogster.com (choose “I’m an Educator or Teacher” when signing up for a seven day trial account).
- Click the link to view a Glogster tutorial for creating a Glog (or watch the embedded version above) and then click here to learn how to add Links to your Glog.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: Regardless of what it might say in a screencast, you should create your Glog in PORTRAIT orientation and NOT landscape as the wide version is problematic to view in your Weebly. Stick to Portrait for this assignment.
- Review the C.R.A.P principles.
- Create your Glog.
- If you use any media that you do NOT own then be sure to cite the media in your Glog. Follow the citation formats in a separate item above.
- Submit your finished Glog URL below.
- CITING MEDIA
- Use this format to cite any media that you use that is NOT your property.
- Images: [John F. Kennedy portrait] TopNews.in. Retrieved 11/5/10 from http://topnews.in/files/john-f-kennedy111.jpg.
- Video: [CBS Announces JFK’s Death] Youtube. Retrieved 11/5/10 from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CjWbemTNcw&feature=related.
- Audio: [Ask not audio] Soundboard. Retrieved 11/5/10 from http://www.soundboard.com/sb/John_F_Kennedy_JFK.aspx.
- WEEBLY WEBSITE/PORTFOLIO
- For this module, you will be creating your GLOGSTER page.
- Click here to see my model portfolio/website.
- Click here to go to education.weebly.com.
- In this module, you will be creating the GLOGSTER page in your portfolio.
- Click here to watch a screencast video that will show you how to create your GLOGSTER page.
- You do NOT need to submit your portfolio URL again. I already have the URL.
- Helpful reminders:
- Check your grades weekly. Please let me know if you have any questions.
- Technology Lab in Payne 213 – Just a reminder that you can go get technology help in Payne 213 on the Tempe campus or communicate with them electronically. You can also check out equipment, practice with Smartboards, work on group projects, and get help on assignments.
- ASU Counseling Service is available to help you with anything you might need – no matter how small or large (notations of counseling are not part of your university record)
- ASU Ethics and Compliance Hotline – The purpose of the hotline is to promote a safe, secure and ethical environment for all students, faculty, staff and guests of the University